Do you want to have a different and eye-catching look? Having a tongue piercing is a fantastic idea which gives you a bold look. Let us tell you about the amazing Double Tongue Piercing, also called Multiple Tongue Piercing. You will find complete detail, including ideas in this article.
Table of Contents
What Is A Double Tongue Piercing?
A Double Tongue Piercing is two or more separate perforations on the tongue, which may be horizontally or vertically allowing you to wear separate jewelry, i.e. barbells. In Double Tongue Piercing, you have two different perforations. You can always get the perforations on the tongue wherever you want, and their location may vary.
You can have two perforations horizontally near the center of the tongue. This is called venom piercing or frog eyes piercing. Because you get a large room for such tongue piercing, you have multiple options. You can have two horizontal and two vertical perforations. This will make the multiple tongue piercing more awesome. You can try any other variation of Double Tongue Piercing. Look at the images section for more ideas.
Pros and Cons Of Multiple Tongue Piercing
There are pros and cons associated with Double Tongue Piercing. Let us mention some of the pros and cons of making the decision easy for you.
- You ou can try several variations. Get a clear idea through the images section. You can try having separate horizontal perforations or vertical perforations. You may even try a combination of both.
- There are different jewelry options available. You can try jewelry having different colors and shapes. Like you can use a barbell with a ring as well. By looking at the image section, you will have a clear idea about the jewelry variations.
- Double Tongue Piercing gives you a bold look. People will not be able to take their eyes off.
- There is a chance of gum or teeth infection if you do not follow aftercare instruction.
- There are multiple perforations involved. This makes Multiple Tongue Piercing more complex in terms of aftercare, healing and infection risks
- It hurts more because there are two or more perforations involved. We shall guide you on how you can make it less painful.
First of all, always find the best professional piercer for double tongue piercing in your area who has a good reputation. The professional piercing must be experienced. Also, make sure that the equipment which is being used is sterilized and individually packed.
Before any tongue piercing procedure, rinse your mouth with a good anti-bacterial mouthwash.
The professional piercer will first examine the tongue anatomy and approve if you can have the perforations where you want.
Once approved, the professional piercer will mark the location with a surgical pen where he intends to make the perforation. Before making the perforation, the professional piercer will make sure no vein gets affected. He may examine the underside of the tongue and use blue light for this purpose.
You can have an idea where exactly you will have the perforations. The professional piercer will hold the tongue with a surgical clamp. He will then insert a hollow needle through the surgical clamp and finalize the procedure with the initial jewelry.
After the procedure, the professional piercer will give you aftercare instructions. You must follow those instructions to avoid any chance of infection.
How Much Does Double Tongue Piercing Hurt?
Each individual has a different level of pain tolerance. For someone, one piercing may be more painful than the other.
Though tongue piercings do not hurt much. But the reason for a level 5 pain level is the multiple perforations involved during the procedure. We shall guide you on how you can make Double Tongue Piercing less painful.
Suggestion For Making It Less Painful
As there are multiple perforations involved in multiple tongue piercing, you can always go for one at a time. You can come back later for the second one.
In case you want to have both multiple horizontal and vertical piercings, you can decide accordingly. This will surely reduce the pain level when you do not have all the perforations on the same day. Don’t forget that the experience, equipment, and the way a professional piercer does the procedure contributes towards the pain level.
After the procedure, you can take pain killers after the consultation with your doctor if required.
Healing Time and Aftercare
After a double tongue piercing procedure, you would generally think about the healing time. The healing time mainly depends upon how well you follow the aftercare instructions. Undoubtedly, you can make the healing time fast by following the aftercare instructions.
Healing time also depends upon an individual health condition. Follow the aftercare instructions and proper guidelines to avoid any chance of infection.
- Maintain better oral hygiene
- Use the right jewelry
- After each meal, rinse your mouth with a good anti-bacterial mouthwash
- Use a soft toothbrush
- Eat soft food including mashed potatoes, yogurt, scrambled eggs, porridge, and oatmeal
- Gargle with salt water (3 to 6 times a day)
- Look closely to any sign of infection and follow the aftercare instructions properly
- Do not touch your new piercing without washing your hands with a good anti-bacterial soap
- Never try to change or rotate the jewelry
- Do not eat hot and spicy foods
- Avoid alcohol
- Do not smoke
- Avoid sharing cups, spoon or even food items
- Avoid kissing and oral sex
Read About Tongue Piercing Aftercare Guide
Signs Of Infected Double Tongue Piercing
There are some symptoms that are quite normal after a procedure. But you must be aware of any signs of an infected piercing.
- Minor swelling
- More Saliva
- Tenderness (if not excessive)
- Redness (if not much)
- Excessive Throbbing
- Clear White Discharge
- Excessive swelling & redness
- Pus discharge
- Severe pain
- If you start having a fever
- Tongue color changes (green, purplish yellow or even black)
What To Do In Case Of Infection
Tongue infection is the worst thing one can imagine after a piercing procedure. By following the aftercare instructions and proper guidelines, you may reduce the chance of infection. But still, there may be multiple reasons for infection.
As soon as you realize that you have an infection, consult your doctor immediately. Do not get panic. You must be relaxed and do not try something on your own. Stop following any aftercare you may be, and consult your doctor immediately.
Risks Of Double Tongue Piercing
There are some risks involved. You must consider all those before getting a procedure.
- Speech impediments and eating difficulties. Speed impediments may occur due to the restricted tongue mobility and multiple piercings
- Loss of sensation
- Gum and teeth erosion. Because the jewelry you use may keep slamming against gum and teeth
- You may feel the problem in chewing
- If gone wrong (nerve damage), you may face serious health issues
- Multiple perforations may cause excessive swelling causing a problem in performing routine tasks
- Some metals may cause infection. So it is best to select the hypoallergenic material for jewelry. Also, jewelry not suitable may cause migration.
As there are multiple perforations, you can use different jewelry for each perforation if you want to. Select good quality jewelry made of hypoallergenic material.
- Straight barbell
- Barbell and ring (used as a set)
- Double tongue ring having a bead or various shapes
To avoid any infection or allergy, you must always select the jewelry made with hypoallergenic material. This will reduce any chance of infection, allergy, or migration.
How Much Does Double Tongue Piercing Cost?
In the United States, it may cost around 40$ to 100$. While in the UK the cost is around £30 to £90. In Europe, the cost is approximately €40 to €110. Also, note that the price is just for an idea. Charges may vary due to a lot of other factors, including professional piercer, equipment, procedure, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How bad does a double tongue piercing hurt?
If we make a pain scale having level 1 (lease painful) to level 10 (most painful), we shall give it a 5.
How much does double tongue piercing cost?
In the United States, it may cost around 40$ to 100$. While in the UK the cost is about £30 to £90. In Europe, the price is approximately €40 to €110.
What is double tongue piercing called?
Double tongue piercing has two separate perforations. This is why it is also called multiple tongue piercing. Venom piercing (frog eyes) is also a type of double tongue piercing.
Is double tongue piercing dangerous?
There are several risks involved, including speed impediments, loss of sensation, infection, gum, and teeth erosion. You must follow aftercare instructions properly.