Do you want to have an entirely invisible piercing? Do you want it to be hidden until you show it to anyone? If yes, then this piercing is for you. Let us tell you about this amazing lip piercing, which is called Frowny Piercing. It is also called anti smiley piercing. Frowny Piercing is becoming famous because of its uniqueness. Let us tell you everything about the anti smiley piercing in detail.
Table of Contents
What Is A Frowny Piercing (Anti Smiley)
Frowny Piercing has a perforation on the thin tissue between the lower lip and the gum. That lean tissue is called the frenulum. A Frowny Piercing is located inside the mouth and can be seen when you want to show it to someone. Unlike smiley piercing, the anti smiley piercing is hidden even when you smile.
Frowny Piercing becomes visible when you intentionally pull down your lip to show the piercing. You need not worry about its acceptance in your workplace because people are not going to see it.
More Frenulum Piercings
In a Frowny Piercing, the frenulum is the thin tissue that connects the lower lip with the gum. The frenulum is a tissue which is also present on the lower side of the tongue and the other which connects the upper lip with the gum. Getting piercing on the frenulum is generally not painful. Piercing the frenulum that is below the tongue is called a tongue web or tongue frenulum piercing. Piercing the upper lip frenulum is called smiley piercing.
Pros & Cons
Before you go for an anti-smiley piercing, let us mention some of the pros and cons of this piercing.
- The procedure is not painful because of the unavailability of nerve endings in this area. This is quite a relief. But this is true that a frenulum piercing looks much more painful when you imagine it.
- The frowny Piercing procedure is quite quick and straightforward.
- Anti smiley piercing can easily be hidden. This is, again, a relief. People will see only when you will show it to them.
- It can easily be combined with other facial piercings. For example, you can combine anti smiley piercing with the smiley piercing or any other lip piercing. You can combine it with any nose piercing or ear piercing too. It will look fantastic in any case.
- The jewelry may keep striking your gum and teeth, which can cause gum and teeth problems. You must be careful while selecting the jewelry for your Frowny Piercing. Be cautious while choosing the metal for the initial jewelry.
- Not everyone can have it. The professional piercer will examine the anatomy of your tongue frenulum and decide accordingly. But still, you can have other lip piercings.
- It can easily get infected if you do not follow proper guidelines.
- You may face the problem of migration or rejection. Again, you must carefully select the jewelry made of hypoallergenic material.
How It Is Done (Procedure)
You must find a professional and experienced piercer for the procedure. Also, make sure that the equipment is sterilized.
The professional piercer will first examine the anatomy of the frenulum. He will look at how thin your frenulum is. If your frenulum is too thin, it may not hold the jewelry. But don’t worry; there are other piercings you can have. Once everything is okay, according to the piercer, he goes for the Frowny Piercing procedure.
He will then sanitize the instruments and the frenulum. The professional piercer will then use a hollow needle to make the perforation. He may use a surgical clamp to hold the frenulum, but this is not necessary. After making the perforation, the initial will be used to finalize the procedure.
After a Frowny Lip Piercing procedure, you will be given some aftercare instructions and guidelines which you must follow.
Doing It Herself (Video)
Pain Level Of Anti Smiley Piercing
The fact is that each individual has a different level of pain tolerance.
The reason for the lower pain level is the involvement of frenulum. Due to the unavailability of nerve endings in this area, the Frowny Piercing does not have a higher pain level.
You may feel a sharp pain during the procedure and the discomfort after the procedure, which will not last for a longer time.
Healing Time & Aftercare
After the procedure, you must start following the aftercare instructions and guidelines to make the healing time faster.
You must change your everyday routine during the healing time.
- Maintain better oral hygiene
- Never touch your piercing without washing your hands with a good anti-bacterial soap
- Do not try to change the initial jewelry
- Use a soft toothbrush
- Avoid drinking alcohol and hot drinks
- Avoid spicy food
- Do not touch the jewelry with your tongue
- Rinse your mouth after each meal
Read About Lip Piercing Aftercare Guide
Risks Of Anti Smiley Piercing
There are some risks associated with the Frowny Piercing. These are the same risks that the smiley piercing has.
- Gum & Tooth Erosion: You may see the problem when the jewelry keeps slamming against the gum and teeth, causing a problem. You must select the jewelry carefully. Everything matters, including the size and the metal of the jewelry. The wrong jewelry may damage teeth enamel. It is quite normal to see tooth erosion and gum recession as the risk of Frowny Piercing.
- Migration & Rejection: The professional piercer will examine the anatomy of your frenulum before the procedure, but still, you can have the problem of migration and rejection. You must select the jewelry made of hypoallergenic material. So better for you to choose the jewelry carefully.
Frowny Piercing Jewelry
There are multiple options available. The jewelry has a significant impact on how the piercing looks and how it changes your personality.
- You can select a simple straight barbell. The barbell can even be black or blue, depending on what you like.
- A curved barbell is another choice. You can select the color of your choice.
- You can have a simple ring.
- A ring with a bead end can also be used, which will make it more fascinating.
Always make sure that the jewelry is made of hypoallergenic material.
Cost Of Frowny Piercing
In the United States, it may cost around 30$ to 70$. While in the UK cost is around £25 to £65 whereas in Europe the cost of Anti Smiley Piercing is approximately €15 to €45. Also, note that the price is just for an idea. Charges may vary due to a lot of other factors.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is a frowny (anti smiley) piercing?
Frowny Piercing has a perforation on the thin tissue between the lower lip and the gum.
What is the other name of frowny piercing?
Frowny piercing is also called anti smiley piercing.