Let us tell you about a stylish and unique lip piercing, which has become increasingly popular. This lip piercing is for you if you are planning to have an amazing piercing. Though lip piercings are prominent due to its location, still some piercings enhance the beauty to another level. We are talking about the Marilyn Monroe Piercing, which is called a Monroe Piercing or Monroe Lip Piercing.
Do you want to know more about it? Let us mention everything about it in detail. For a better idea, you may refer to the images section below.
Table of Contents
What Is A Monroe Piercing
A Monroe piercing has a perforation above the upper lip on the left side. It replicates the beauty mark of Marilyn Monroe, and this is the reason it is called a Marilyn Monroe Piercing.
Monroe Piercing is becoming increasingly popular in both genders. It can easily be combined with other facial piercings. If you combine it with a Madonna Piercing, it will become an Angel Bites Piercing.
You can combine it with a Septum, and it will enhance your beauty. Let us tell you about the pros & cons of this fantastic piercing. For ideas, check out the images in this article.
Now, let us tell you everything about it in detail.
Pros & Cons
Have you decided to have this beautiful lip piercing? Let us look at some of the pros & cons.
- It gives you a unique and stylish look. People will not be able to take their eyes off once they look at you.
- A Marilyn Monroe Piercing includes only one single perforation. You can have a double Monroe piercing that is not very common. The best is to have a single piece that looks stylish.
- It has a good healing time as compared to some other lip piercings due to adequate blood supply in this area. Yes, you will not have to keep following the aftercare for a longer period.
- You can easily combine Monroe Lip Piercing with other facial piercings, i.e. a septum, spider bites, or smiley piercing. You can even combine it with a labret piercing. It looks incredible with every other piercing.
- You can have another perforation on the other side of the upper lip to make it an Angel Bites Piercing. That is another beautiful lip piercing.
- The procedure is quick. In a few seconds, you will have a unique addition to your beauty.
- Due to the nerve endings in this area, it may cause irritation. You may face minor blood loss during the procedure.
- Your lip may swell for some days after the procedure. It is quite normal after a Monroe Piercing procedure.
- It can easily get infected if you stopped following the aftercare instructions and guidelines. We have mentioned some of those below.
- It can cause some complications, i.e. gum recession and tooth erosion. The reason is that the jewelry may keep slamming against the teeth and gum. We have mentioned some other risks below.
- It may leave a scar if you decide to remove the jewelry. So you must be extra careful while selecting the jewelry for your Monroe Lip Piercing. The Monroe Piercing jewelry must have the right size. It must be made with hypoallergenic material.
Monroe Piercing Procedure
Have you decided to have this beautiful piercing? If yes, you must try to find a professional and experienced piercer around the area. He must have a good reputation. Always make sure that the equipment is sterilized.
The professional piercer will first clean the upper lip, where he intends to make the perforation for a Monroe Piercing. He will mark the spot with a surgical pen to give you an idea where exactly you will have the jewelry.
The professional piercer will hold the upper lip with a surgical clamp and use a hollow needle to make the perforation.
After this, the initial jewelry will be used to finalize the Marilyn Monroe Piercing procedure.
You will be given some aftercare instructions and guidelines. Keep following the guidelines to reduce any chance of infection.
The below videos will give you a better idea about the procedure.
Monroe Piercing Procedure (Videos)
Monroe Piercing Pain
You must stay relaxed and positive during a piercing procedure. The fact is that each individual has a different level of pain tolerance.
Due to the nerve endings in this area, you may feel a sharp pain just for a few seconds, which is quite normal to have. You must always select the jewelry made with hypoallergenic material. Don’t try to remove or play with the initial jewelry. What are other things you must avoid? We have mentioned all those below.
Monroe Piercing Healing & Aftercare
You must start following the aftercare instructions right after having the procedure.
Without the proper guidelines, it could take 8-10 months to heal completely. So it is important to follow the instructions.
Yes, it could be hard to strictly follow the guidelines due to the perforation above the upper lip. The reason is that you cannot cover the Monroe piercing spot all the time. Also, you have to stick to some specific type of food and avoid spicy and hot food items. There are a lot of other things you must do. Let us see which practices to adopt and what to avoid during the healing process.
- Try to keep the piercing dry.
- Never touch the Monroe Lip Piercing without washing your hands with a good anti-bacterial handwash.
- Avoid removing the initial jewelry. You can remove it after the healing process completes. Also, avoid playing with the jewelry.
- You must use a soft toothbrush during the healing process. It is good to avoid the irritation to the inner side of the Marilyn Monroe Piercing.
- Do not swim in public pools.
- Avoid using a shared towel or anything that may cause bacterial infection.
- Do not use any cream on the outer side of your Monroe Piercing.
- Avoid alcohol, hot or spicy food items. Alcohol works as a blood thinner, which is not good during the healing process.
- Clean the outer side with saltwater.
- Rinse your mouth with a good anti-bacterial mouthwash after each meal.
- Maintain better oral hygiene
- Eat soft food items, including yogurt and mashed potatoes.
- Avoid smoking
Read About Lip Piercing Aftercare Guide
Read about Monroe Piercing on Wikipedia
Lip Piercing Aftercare (Video)
Signs Of A Healing Lip Piercing (Video)
Monroe Piercing Risks
As we have mentioned earlier that there are some risks associated with this type of lip piercing, let us mention some of those here.
Gum Recession & Tooth Erosion
You must carefully choose the jewelry for your piercing. There are still some risks. The jewelry may keep slamming against the gum and teeth, causing tooth erosion and gum recession.
Monroe Piercing Infection
Your piercing may easily get infected without following the proper guidelines. As mentioned earlier, it is not possible to cover the spot all the time. Also, the inner side of a lip piercing gets in touch with everything you eat or drink. This is the reason you must strictly follow the guidelines to avoid any chance of infection.
Monroe Piercing Scar
You may have a scar after removing the jewelry. Always select the jewelry having the right size and made with hypoallergenic material. Obviously, the larger jewelry will have a higher chance of leaving a scar after removing it.
Monroe Piercing Jewelry
As we have mentioned above, you must select the jewelry made with hypoallergenic material. Also, use the jewelry having the right size. Have you decided to have a ring for your Monroe Piercing? That is not a good idea to have a ring on the upper lips. The suitable jewelry is obviously a stud and several variations of it.
A tiny labret is a good idea. A small curved or straight barbell may look amazing. Why don’t you have a tiny colorful labret just like the beauty mark of the Marilyn Monroe?
How Much Does It Cost
In the United States, it may cost around 20$ to 60$. While in the UK the cost is around £20 to £50 whereas in Europe the cost is approximately €15 to €55. Also, note that the price is just for an idea. Charges may vary due to a lot of other factors.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How much does it hurt?
On a pain scale meter from a level 1 to level 10, a Monroe Piercing is a 4.
What is the difference between a Monroe Piercing & Madonna Piercing?
Both lip piercings are above the upper lip, but the Madonna piercing is on the right side, whereas a Monroe Piercing is on the left side.
How to clean it?
For the inner side, rinse your mouth with a good anti-bacterial mouthwash after each meal. For the outer side, clean it with saltwater solution at least 2-3 times a day.
What side is a Monroe Piercing on?
It is on the left side above the upper lip.
When should I avoid having it?
You should avoid if you have a lower pain tolerance. You must consider some of the risks associated with it, including tooth erosion, gum recession & scar. Also, if you have any oral problems, receding gum lines, don’t think about having it.