You may want to know about a piercing that is only visible when you want it to. This may be the only reason for you to have it because to remain invisible as long as you want, makes it unique. This type of lip piercing is hidden until you smile, and this is the reason it is called a Smiley Piercing. Smiley Piercing is also called lip frenulum piercing. We shall mention everything about the Smiley Piercing in great detail. This will help you understand everything about it to make the decision easier for you if you are thinking to have a Smiley Piercing.
Table of Contents
What Is A Smiley Piercing (Lip Frenulum)
A Smiley Piercing is a perforation of a thin tissue that connects your upper lip to the gum line. If you lift your upper lip, then you will see a lean tissue which connects it with the gum. This tissue is called lip frenulum. This is the reason Smiley Piercing is also called lip frenulum piercing. It is called a Smiley Piercing because it becomes visible only when you smile.
Smiley Piercing is a unique piercing, and you can easily combine it with other facial piercings though there are some pros and cons which you must know before deciding for a Smiley Piercing procedure.
There is another type of piercing which involves the frenulum. This is the piercing in which you get your tongue frenulum pierced, which is under your tongue. This type of tongue piercing is called Tongue Web Piercing (Tongue Frenulum Piercing).
Pros & Cons
Let us go through some of the pros and cons which are associated with the Smiley Piercing.
- The procedure is quick. It does not take much time. The procedure completes in a few seconds.
- It gives you a bold and unique look.
- Smiley Piercing is something that people notice when you smile. It remains hidden all the time that makes it an excellent choice to have. Still, it is quite an evident type of piercing due to its location.
- The procedure is not painful. This is because of the involvement of the frenulum. We have mentioned about the pain level in an upcoming topic.
- It can easily be combined with other facial piercings and tattoos.
- You may face gum and teeth problems. There is a chance because the jewelry may keep striking your gum and teeth which can cause a problem
- Not everyone can have it. The professional piercer will examine the anatomy of your tongue frenulum and decide accordingly.
- A Smiley Piercing may be unacceptable in some cultures
- There is always a chance of infection if you do not follow the aftercare instructions
Though the procedure is quick and simple, still the piercer can make the perforation in the wrong place. This will change the location of the jewelry you use. You will not have the jewelry at the ideal location. So you must carefully select the best and experienced piercer in the area.
Smiley Piercing Procedure
You must carefully select the best and professional piercer around the area.
The Smiley Piercing procedure starts with rinsing your mouth with a good anti-bacterial mouthwash. The upper lip is pulled back, and a sterilized needle is used to make the perforation on the lip frenulum. After this, the initial jewelry is used to finalize the procedure. The procedure is quick and does not require much time.
After this, the professional piercer will give you aftercare instructions. You must follow the instructions and guidelines to avoid any chance of infection.
Doing It Herself (Videos)
Pain Level Of Lip Frenulum Piercing
It is obvious that each individual has a different level of pain tolerance. But let us mention what generally people feel.
Smiley Piercing does not hurt much due to the involvement of the frenulum. The process is quick, and this becomes another reason for a less painful procedure. Also, the pain level depends upon individual health conditions.
Healing Time & Aftercare
After a Smiley Piercing procedure, you usually concerned about the healing time. Healing time depends upon how well you follow the aftercare instructions. Healing time also depends upon individual health conditions.
You must follow all the instructions and guidelines to make the healing time fast.
The healing time of a lip frenulum piercing is relatively shorter than some other facial piercings. But this happens only when you change your daily routine and keep following the guidelines.
- Maintain better oral hygiene
- Do not touch the piercing without washing your hands with a good anti-bacterial hand wash
- Avoid changing or rotating the initial jewelry until it heals completely
- Use a soft toothbrush
- Avoid using shared cups, spoons and even the food item
- Avoid spicy food
- Do not drink alcohol and hot drinks
- Avoid touching your jewelry with your tongue
- Look closely to any sign of infection
- Rinse your mouth after each meal
- Always stick to the aftercare and keep following the guidelines
- Avoid talking too much for some days
Read About Lip Piercing Aftercare Guide
Brushing Your Teeth With A Smiley Piercing
What Are The Risks
You must know about the risks associated with the lip frenulum piercing before the procedure. Maybe you know them already but let us mention some of those.
- Gum & Tooth Erosion: You may face the problem of gum and teeth erosion. You may see it damaging the teeth enamel. You must be careful while selecting jewelry for your Smiley Piercing. The jewelry may keep slamming against the teeth and gums, causing gum recession and teeth erosion.
- Jewelry Migration: You must always select the jewelry made with the hypoallergenic material. You may find jewelry migrating from its original location. You may also have some infection if you do not spend time learning about jewelry made with hypoallergenic material.
Yes, we have mentioned some of the risks above. But the way it looks once you have it, makes the Smiley Piercing worthwhile to have.
Signs of Infection
There are several signs of an infected lip frenulum piercing. Slight discomfort is quite normal to have after the procedure.
- Excessive swelling of the frenulum which spreads around
- Excessive redness may also be a sign of infection
- You start having a fever
- Jewelry rejection. Look closely to any symptom which may be a sign of infection
- Dark brown, green or yellow discharge
- Embedded jewelry
If you see any of the symptoms, don’t get panic. You must consult your doctor immediately.
Suggested Material For Jewelry
Some metals may be suitable for your piercing. There is a good chance that jewelry made with any of these materials does not affect in any way.
- You may use surgical steel for your jewelry. That may be good to avoid any chance of allergy. But still, it may cause some irritation.
- If you have sensitive skin, then titanium jewelry may be the right choice.
- You can select Gold for the initial jewelry. If you decide to do so, don’t choose the jewelry made of the gold higher than 14-karat. Avoid using the gold plated jewelry as it can cause infection.
- You can select white gold for your initial jewelry
Best Jewelry For Smiley Piercing
You can choose among several options the right one for you.
- Captive Bead Ring (CBR) will look excellent and give your Smiley Piercing an excellent look
- You can select a surgical steel horseshoe ring
- Go for a smiley clicker ring
- The circular barbell may be a good option
- Dark blue horseshoe ring
- Crystal hoop
- Seamless ring with or without adornment
Cost Of Smiley Piercing
In the United States, it may cost around 30$ to 70$. While in the UK cost is around £25 to £65 whereas in Europe the cost of Smiley Piercing is approximately €25 to €60. Also, note that the price is just for an idea. Charges may vary due to a lot of other factors.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How to change the smiley piercing jewelry?
You must rinse your mouth with a good anti-bacterial mouth wash. Wash your hands as well. Unscrew the existing jewelry. Now gently put the new jewelry into the hole. Screw the new jewelry back and rinse your mouth again.
What is a smiley piercing?
A Smiley Piercing is a perforation of a thin tissue that connects your upper lip to the gum line. If you lift your upper lip, then you will see a lean tissue that connects it with the gum.
How much is a smiley piercing?
In the United States, it may cost around 30$ to 70$. While in the UK the cost is around £25 to £65 whereas in Europe the cost is approximately €25 to €60.
How bad does a smiley piercing hurt?
On a pain scale meter, which has a level 1 (least painful) to a level 10 (most painful), Smiley Piercing is a 4.
How to hide a smiley piercing?
You must select the smaller jewelry to hide it. It all depends upon which jewelry you chose for your lip frenulum piercing. Whichever you decided from CBR to the barbell, look for the size you are going with.
How to take out a smiley piercing?
You must rinse your mouth with a good anti-bacterial mouth wash. Wash your hands as well. Unscrew the existing jewelry and remove it.