Are you thinking about having an awesome ear piercing? Do you want to have an ear piercing that can easily be combined with other ear piercings? Then let us tell you about an amazing piercing, which is called the Conch Piercing. Why do we call it a Conch Piercing? We shall answer it with some more questions regarding the pros and cons, procedure, healing time, pain level, and aftercare in detail.
If you are willing to have a piercing, which makes you look more adorable, then the Conch Piercing is for you.
Table of Contents
What Is A Conch Piercing
Conch Piercing has a perforation in the middle of the ear, which is usually the center of the ear cartilage. There are multiple variations of a Conch Piercing, i.e., inner conch, outer conch, double conch, and even triple conch. Each type of the Conch Piercing has a perforation on the middle cartilage but a slighter different location.
The area where it is located looks like a conch seashell, and this is the reason we call it a Conch Piercing. This type of ear piercing is quite famous out there due to the amazing look. Let us mention some of the variations of a Conch Piercing.
Some Variations Of Conch Piercing
There are some variations of Conch Piercing, and you can select any of those to make you look more amazing.
Inner conch has a perforation on the middle cartilage above the Daith Piercing. An inner conch piercing is located on the location between the Rook & Daith. This is an ideal area of the ear that is prominent, and with the right jewelry, it gives you an amazing new look.
Double conch is to have two perforations on the middle cartilage. You can have one inner and an outer conch, which makes a double conch. With the right jewelry, a double conch comes out to be something unique and beautiful.
A triple conch has three perforations, usually in a line on the middle cartilage. We can also call it a multiple conch. This makes you look awesome because you get a large room to try any jewelry.
Pros & Cons
Let us mention some of the pros and cons.
- There are multiple variations of a Conch Piercing. You get a large room to try any type of jewelry from rings to studs.
- It can easily be combined with other facial piercings. You can also combine it with other ear piercings, and it will be an added beauty.
- This piercing gives you a trendy and fashionable look.
- An ear-piercing is acceptable in almost all cultures around the globe.
- The procedure may be painful due to the involvement of the cartilage. If you have plans to get a double conch, it will be more painful. But the way it looks after you have it makes it worthwhile.
- There is a risk of cartilage damage and the stretching of the cartilage. Removing a piece of jewelry may leave an opening on the place, and that requires surgery.
- You will have to change your everyday routine, i.e., adjusting your sleeping position.
- It can easily get infected if you stop following the aftercare instructions
Pros & Cons (Videos)
Procedure Of A Conch Piercing
You must always find a professional and experienced piercer for the procedure. Also, make sure that the equipment is sterilized.
The professional piercer will mark the location with a surgical pen where he intends to make the perforation. Go, look into the mirror, and decide if it is the exact location where you want to have your Conch Piercing. You can change the location if you want to.
Once finalized, the professional piercer will make the perforation using a surgical needle (not larger than 14 gauge) and use initial jewelry to complete the procedure.
Here it is essential to mention that you must carefully decide on the initial jewelry. It must be made of hypoallergenic material. You may have an allergy to some metals. Don’t forget to consider the initial jewelry carefully.
After the procedure, you will be given some aftercare instructions. You must follow all those guidelines to avoid any chance of infection.
Pain Level Of A Conch Piercing
There are several factors that contribute to the pain level. Undoubtedly, the pain level varies from one person to another because each individual has a different level of pain tolerance.
As we have mentioned earlier that the reason for a higher pain level is the involvement of the cartilage. Also, this pain level is when you have a single Conch Piercing. You may feel even more pain if you have decided for a double or triple one.
The cartilage is quite a thick place to have a perforation. So you must not get panic. Just be relaxed and have a piercing. It would just take seconds, and you will get the new amazing look.
Is there any way you could reduce the pain level? There is something you can do. As there are perforations on both sides, you can always decide to have one on the same day. You can always come back later for the perforation on the other side.
Healing Time & Aftercare
After a procedure, you might start having a question regarding the healing time. But remember, healing time depends upon how well you follow the aftercare instructions.
We have mentioned earlier that removing a Conch Piercing may lead to an opening on the cartilage, and that may require surgery. The same goes for the infection. So you must follow the guidelines to avoid any chance of such problems.
- Try to keep the Conch Piercing dry. Clean it with a towel after every shower
- Keep it clean. Clean your piercing 3-4 times a day with the saline solution. Keep this routine at least for three months. You can easily make the saline solution by mixing the non-iodized salt with warm water
- Be careful while brushing your hair
- Adjust your sleeping position to avoid any harm to the new Piercing
- Keep following the guidelines
- Never touch your piercing without washing your hands
- Avoid using a shared pillow
- Do not swim in public pools
- Avoid changing the initial jewelry
- Do not try to rotate the jewelry
Read About Ear Piercing Aftercare Guide
Symptoms Of An Infected Conch Piercing
There is always a chance of infection because you can never cover your ear all the time.
There are several signs of infection. You must not get panic if you find out that the piercing has an infection.
- Excessive Redness or swelling (which lasts for a longer time)
- Extreme Pain (which does not go away)
- You start having a fever
- Yellow or green pus
- If any of the symptoms is severe and lasts longer than a week
You must stop following the aftercare and see your doctor immediately.
There are several types of jewelry, and you can select any of them. If you have a double or triple conch, you have even more choice.
You can have metallic beads and colored earrings.
If you are having an inner conch, it will look amazing with a ring or hoop. You can also use a stud there. For a double or triple conch, you can use barbells and CBRs.
Using a black stud is also a right choice, which gives you a bold, fashionable look.
You may use stud with or without beads, which are generally used for a Conch Piercing.
Cost Of A Conch Piercing
In the United States, it may cost around 45$ to 75$. While in the UK the cost is around £30 to £60 whereas in Europe the cost is approximately €25 to €55. Also, note that charges may vary due to a lot of other factors.
Frequently Asked Questions (Video)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is a conch piercing?
Conch Piercing has a perforation in the middle of the ear, which is usually the center of the ear cartilage. It has multiple variations, i.e., inner conch, outer conch, double conch, and even triple conch.
How much is a conch piercing?
In the United States, it may cost around 45$ to 75$. While in the UK the cost is about £30 to £60 whereas in Europe the price is approximately €25 to €55.
How long does a conch piercing take to heal?
It may take 6-10 months to heal completely. The healing time depends on how well you follow the guidelines.
How bad does a conch piercing hurt?
On a pain scale meter having a level 1 (lease painful) to a level 10 (most painful), the Conch Piercing is a 6.