Please note this post may contain affiliate links and ads, read the full disclosure here
Are you planning for a new type of piercing which becomes visible only when you open your mouth? Wow, doesn’t it feel great that everyone notices something when you speak to them? So, let us discuss everything in great detail about Snake Eyes Piercing, which makes you look tougher, rugged, and a cool badass. Snake eyes tongue piercing is also known as the tip of tongue piercing, horizontal tongue piercing and sometimes referred to as a front tongue piercing.
Table of Contents
What Is A Snake Eyes Piercing?
Snake Eyes Piercing is the piercing on the tip of the tongue in which a barbell horizontally goes through the tongue. Snake Eyes Piercing, also known as horizontal tongue piercing, becomes visible as you open your mouth. According to several piercing professionals, Snake Eyes Lip Piercing is said to be highly not recommended. There are reasons behind it, but the way it looks and changes the personality has become famous among both genders.
Some other names of Snake Eyes Piercing are
- Horizontal tongue piercing
- Tip of tongue piercing
- Front tongue piercing
It seems that each side of the tongue has a different type of piercing separately. The way the barbell looks after the procedure also reflects the same way. Once you have it, it seems like snake eyes when you show it to anyone. Though it is classy and a different type of piercing, and really seems like snake eyes, still you must go through the pros and cons section of this post to know more about it.
Pros and Cons
Before you decide, let us mention some of the pros and cons which are associated with Snake Eyes Piercing. First of all, keep in mind that some reputable piercing professionals may refuse to do it. The reason, according to them, is that Snake Eyes Piercing is quite unsafe due to several health risks associated with it. We shall mention some of those in the upcoming section.
- Front tongue piercing heals quickly; therefore, you may think about having it
- It is easy to hide
- People will not be able to take their eyes off once you have it
- Front tongue piercing looks fantastic and makes you look a courageous individual
- It gives the feel of someone willing to face every risk in life
- You may face speech impediments and eating difficulties due to the restrictions of natural tongue mobility
- It may be hard to get this horizontal tongue piercing because piercing professionals may refuse to do it because of health issues
- You may have scars on your tongue due to snake eyes piercing
- If gone wrong, you may have serious health issues. In other words, you must be careful while selecting a professional piercer
- You may have infections related to gum and teeth due to Snake Eyes Piercing
First of all, you must try to find a professional piercer who has a good reputation. The other thing, you can not neglect is the sterilized individually packed equipment.
Also, note that each individual has different anatomy. Piercing professional examines and decides whether you can have a specific piercing or not. And for that, he considers several essential things, including the possibility of procedure to the jewelry which you will use later. Once he approves everything to be alright, he goes for the procedure.
The professional piercer will first mark the place with a surgical pen, where he intends to make the perforation. You can have an idea of how the jewelry will look at the tongue. You can also change the location if you like at this point.
The professional piercer will then hold the tongue with a surgical clamp. He will then insert a hollow needle through the tongue to make the perforation. After this, a long straight or bent barbell will be inserted through the hollow needle, which would be long enough to adjust with a swollen tongue. Furthermore, he will give you aftercare instructions which you must follow to avoid any chance of infection.
How Much Does Snake Eyes Piercing Hurt
The fact is that each individual has a different level of pain tolerance. For someone, a tongue piercing may be less painful than the one for whom the lip piercing is less painful. So it varies from person to person, but we consider things on a general level.
Most people have experienced the pain, not more than a tongue bite. After the procedure, you may feel some discomfort in your routine life, like speaking and eating due to a swollen tongue. You must stick to the aftercare instructions to fasten the healing time and to avoid any infection.
Healing Time And Aftercare
Though it may look scary for someone to get a tongue piercing. But as we mentioned that for some people, it does not hurt more than a tongue bite. After a procedure, you always stick to aftercare instructions and wait for it to heal.
The swelling will go by the first week of the procedure.
What You Must Adopt During Healing Time
- First of all, maintain proper oral hygiene
- Always clean your hands with a good anti-bacterial soap before touching front tongue piercing
- Use the right jewelry because the selection of the jewelry plays an important role
- Eat simple food, including mashed potatoes. Also, you can have yogurt and oatmeal
- Use a soft toothbrush
- Look closely to any sign of infection
- After each meal, rinse your mouth with saltwater
- Gargle with salt water at least 3 to 6 times a day
What To Avoid During Healing Time
- Do not try to change or move the jewelry because it may not be a good idea
- Do not eat spicy food
- Avoid alcohol because it acts as a blood thinner and makes it hard for the tongue to heal
- Avoid hot drinks
- Do not use lipstick, lip gloss or any such things which may cause infection later
- Avoid sharing cup, spoon even food
- Avoid kissing and oral sex
- Do not smoke
Read About Tongue Piercing Aftercare Guide
You must follow the aftercare instructions carefully, so that you may avoid any chance of infection.
Best Aftercare Products
There are some of the great products you for you to take care of your piercing. Let us mention some of those.
1- Urban ReLeaf Piercing Solution – Healing Sea Salts & Tea Tree AFTERCARE
- Safely clean, disinfect and heal your new and stretched piercings
- 100% natural
- Safe for all skin types
2- H2Ocean Piercing Aftercare Spray – Sea Salt Solution to clean your body & oral piercings.
- Made with natural ingredients
- Safe for all skin types
3- Urban ReLeaf Piercing Care – Healing Sea Salts & Botanical Aftercare
- Effective Non-iodized. Vitamin Rich. Dead Sea Salt & Botanicals
- Safely clean, disinfect and heal your new and stretched piercings
- 100% natural
4- NeilMed NeilCleanse – Piercing Aftercare
- Sterile, drug free, and preservative free
- No burning or stinging
- Portable, convenient for travel or on-the-go
Snake Eyes Piercing Risks
There are some risks associated with Horizontal Tongue Piercing. We have already mentioned that the piercing professional may refuse to do the procedure due to the risks. Those risks may include:
- You may face speech impediments and eating difficulties because of the restrictions of natural tongue mobility
- Gum erosion (Jewelry keeps slamming against the gums)
- Teeth erosion (Jewelry keeps knocking teeth)
- If gone wrong, nerves in your tongue may damage so, carefully select a professional well-reputed piercer
- Another risk is the chance of swelling due to front tongue piercing
- Several metals used for piercing may not be suitable for your tongue. So, carefully select a piece of initial jewelry.
- You may feel the problem in chewing due to the horizontal tongue piercing
How To Identify An Infection
The infection seems to be a nightmare for someone who recently had a piercing. So, you must carefully look for any sign of infection and consult your doctor immediately if you find any of the symptoms.
What Is Normal After Snake Eyes Piercing
- Minor swelling (usually lasts for 7 to 10 days)
- More Saliva (for some days most likely due to the jewelry)
- Tenderness on the tip of the tongue
- Redness or red streaks which lasts for some days
- Throbbing (slightly near the tongue)
- Clear white discharge (if not excessive)
Signs Of Infection
- Excessive swelling due to which you may have a long-lasting fever
- Severe Pain
- Excessive Redness
- If the color of tongue changes (green, purplish, yellow or even black)
- Pus discharge
What To Do In Case Of Infection
Once you realize that you have some infection, do not get panic because this will be the worst thing you will ever do. Just relax and consult with your doctor immediately. You may need some medical treatment, including antibiotics depending upon the type of infection you have. You must not waste time because the infection may spread around, causing other health issues. Addressing your infection must be the primary concern at this point. Therefore, you should not worry about anything else and consult your doctor.
Best Jewelry For Snake Eyes Piercing
There are several jewelry items you can have, but you must choose something which goes with the anatomy of your tongue. Also, the small ending jewelry will be suitable to avoid any risks mentioned earlier. For the tip of tongue piercing, you must consider the jewelry which has a minimal chance of slamming against gums and teeth. Always chose the jewelry carefully because you will never want to have any teeth or gum erosion. Also, you can consult with the professional piercer, and he may guide you with his experience. Here are some jewelry options you have:
- Spike Ends Barbell
- Bent Staple Barbell
- Snake Eye Inlaid Ball (Surgical Steel Barbell)
- Surgical Steel Curved Barbell
How Much Do Snake Eyes Piercing Cost
In the United States, it may cost around 40$ to 100$. While in the UK cost is around £30 to £80 whereas in Europe the cost of snake eyes tongue piercing is approximately €40 to €70. Also, note that the price is just for an idea. Charges may vary due to a lot of other factors, including professional piercer, equipment, procedure, etc.
We have mentioned in great detail about Snake Eyes Tongue Piercing. Also, we have mentioned why most of the piercing professionals may refuse to do the procedure due to the health risks associated with the tip of the tongue piercing. Still, there are some reasons why you should have it. And more importantly, and despite the risks, you want to have it to change the way you look. Everything is good unless everything is under control. Furthermore, you must strictly follow the aftercare instructions, which reduces any chance of infection. Snake Eyes Tongue Piercing, probably the most classy type of piercing, has some pros and cons, but as long as you love it and want to have it, then go for it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How to take care of Snake Eyes Piercing?
1. Maintain proper oral hygiene
2. Always touch your piercing with clean hands
3. Use the right jewelry
4. Eat simple food
5. Use a soft toothbrush
6. After each meal, rinse your mouth with saltwater
7. Gargle with salt water at least 3 to 6 times a day
8. Do not try to change or move the jewelry
9. Avoid spicy foods and hot drinks
10. Avoid alcohol
11. Do not use lipstick, lip gloss or any such thing
12. Avoid sharing cup, spoon even food
13. Avoid kissing and oral sex
14. Do not smoke
How much do Snake Eyes Piercing cost?
In the United States, the tip of tongue piercing may cost around 40$ to 100$. While in the UK cost is around £30 to £80 whereas in Europe the cost of angel bite is approximately €40 to €70. Also, note that the price is just for an idea. Charges may vary due to a lot of other factors, including professional piercer, equipment, procedure, etc.
How to clean Snake Eyes Piercing?
You must maintain proper oral hygiene, and after each meal, rinse your mouth with saltwater. Do not forget to gargle with salt water at least 3 to 6 times a day.
How to hide Snake Eyes Piercing?
Talk with a low tongue. Keep it low behind the gums while you speak. You can practice before a mirror, and you will see a good result after a 7 to 10 days practice.
Where to get Snake Eyes Piercing?
Most of the professional piercer may refuse to do it due to health issues associated with it. Still, you will find a professional piercer around you. Do not forget to insist on a sterilized and individually packed equipment for the procedure.