Undoubtedly, lip piercings are the most prominent type of facial piercings as compared to some other piercing types. This lip piercing changes your looks and makes your personality more charming. We are talking about Ashley Piercing. Technically, it is an inverse vertical labret piercing.
Let us tell you everything about this classy piercing in detail.
Table of Contents
What Is An Ashley Piercing
Ashley Piercing has a perforation on the center of the lower lip, and the jewelry goes through the lower lip to the inner side of the mouth. Generally, the jewelry becomes visible on the lower lip, and the other side remains hidden. So here we have one hidden exit spot which is inside the mouth.
Ashley Piercing is technically an inverse vertical labret piercing. This is the reason it is also called with the same name. This type of piercing is famous among both genders. An inverse vertical labret piercing can easily be combined with other facial piercings.
Pros & Cons
You must be aware of the pros and cons associated with Ashley Piercing. Let us mention some of those here.
- Ashley Piercing is quite an evident type of piercing, which makes it an ideal choice. The location is fantastic, which makes you look more stylish. Trying different lipsticks with catchy a barbell will make it awesome.
- People will not be able to take their eyes off after having it. You will have a unique and trendy style.
- You can easily have other piercings with the Ashley Piercing. Consider having a septum or combine it with snake bites. You can also combine it with Medusa, which will look beautiful. There are a lot of other combinations available.
- You may have permanent scars if the Ashley Piercing migrates. It will not be possible to find a solution to removing those scars, even with plastic surgery. So you must consider it before getting an inverse vertical labret piercing.
- You do not have substantial jewelry options available. The lip is not suitable to hold the overweight or large jewelry. So there are limited options available, i.e., a mini stud.
- The procedure is quite painful because of the nerve endings in this area. Lip may be swollen after the procedure, but, the way it changes your looks, make it worthwhile to have.
- The healing process is longer. You will have to stick to the guidelines if you want to avoid any chance of infection and complication.
- As the jewelry goes through the lip to the inner side of the mouth, there is always a chance of gum recession & tooth erosion. You must carefully select the right spot for the perforation and, yes again, keep following the aftercare instructions.
What Is The Procedure
The most important thing is to find a professional piercer around the area. The fact is that the experienced piercer contributes to a lot of factors. Make sure that the equipment is sterilized.
The procedure starts with marking the spot with a surgical pen. The location where the piercer intends to make the perforation must be chosen carefully. Location matters a lot due to the sensitive tissue of the lip. Also, the jewelry end on the other side may keep slamming against gum or teeth. So you must be careful while selecting a piercer for the Ashley Piercing.
After marking, the professional piercer will hold the lip with a surgical clamp. He will then use a 14 gauge needle to make the perforation. Then the initial jewelry will be used to finalize the procedure.
You may feel a sharp pain during the procedure, and minor swelling for some days is quite normal after the procedure. You must keep following the instructions.
Ashley Piercing Procedure (Videos)
Pain Level Of Ashley Piercing
The fact is that everyone has a different pain tolerance level. For someone, a nose piercing may be more painful as compared to a lip piercing. But let us mention what generally people feel.
Why does a single perforation on the lip have a pain level of 5? The reason is the nerve endings in this area. Soreness and swelling after an inverse vertical labret piercing are quite normal. But you must keep looking at any sign of infection.
You can take painkillers to reduce the pain, but don’t forget to follow the proper guidelines.
Healing Time & Aftercare
After an inverse vertical labret piercing procedure, the first thing you start thinking is the healing time.
Why does it take such a long time? The reason is simple. The first reason is that the outer wound is open, which cannot be covered all the time. It requires more attention in terms of aftercare. Whereas, the inner side gets in touch with anything you eat. So, you must follow the aftercare instructions to avoid any chance of infection.
- Maintain proper oral hygiene. That means to avoid anything that may cause bacterial infection.
- Do not use any cream on your Ashley Piercing.
- Always touch your piercing after washing your hands with a good antibacterial handwash
- Do not play with the initial jewelry
- Avoid changing the initial jewelry. You can change it after the healing process completes.
- Avoid swimming in public pools.
- Do not use a shared towel.
- Use a soft toothbrush, and be careful while brushing your teeth.
- Avoid spicy food and hot drinks
- Carefully select the jewelry for your Ashley Piercing. It must be made of hypoallergenic material.
- Avoid kissing and oral sex during the healing time.
- Avoid alcohol because it works as a blood thinner.
Read About Lip Piercing Aftercare Guide
Lip & Labret Piercing Aftercare (Video)
How To Clean An Ashley Piercing
First of all, you must avoid excessive cleaning. Because it may irritate the piercing.
- Use a saline solution to clean the Ashley Piercing. You can buy one from the market or can prepare on your own. The process is quite simple. Mix non-iodized salt with warm distilled water. You can clean the outer side with this solution. Use a cotton ball for cleaning purposes and pat dry with a disposable towel to avoid any chance of complications.
- You must rinse your mouth after having each meal. You must rinse when you get up and before going to bed. This is a good cleaning practice for the internal part of the piercing.
- For the outer part, you can have an anti-bacterial soap to clean the outer side for half a minute. Do it not more than twice a day.
Cleaning The New Lip Piercing (Video)
Ashley Piercing Risks
You must be aware of those risks that are associated with the inverse vertical labret piercing.
- Infection: Ashley Piercing can easily be infected. The reason is simple as we have mentioned that you cannot cover the outer side all the time. For the inner side, whatever you eat affects the perforation. What can you do in this case? You must strictly follow the aftercare instructions and guidelines.
- Rejection: The body takes the internal object as an intruder and responds accordingly. You must carefully select the jewelry for the Ashley Piercing. Select the jewelry made with hypoallergenic material.
- Scar: After the removal of the jewelry, you may have a scar on your lip. There are types of scars that are temporary, whereas some are permanent. For a permanent scar, it may not be possible to remove it.
- Teeth & Gum Erosion: The inner side of the jewelry may keep slamming against the gum or the teeth. It may cause the problem of gum recession and tooth erosion.
Best Jewelry For Ashley Piercing
Though you get a larger room to try any jewelry, you cannot. The reason is the sensitive tissue of the lower lip that holds the jewelry. Most jewelry comes in 14G & 16G.
You can try a labret or a ring. Labrets with multiple variations are quite common. You may prefer a shiny labret with or without beads. A piece of gold jewelry having a small design without beads is also the right choice. You can also have jewelry with a 14K gold ball.
For a unique and more stylish look, you can consider using a ring. But mostly, labrets with huge variations are more preferred.
Cost Of Ashley Piercing
In the United States, it may cost around 30$ to 60$. While in the UK cost is around £25 to £60 whereas in Europe the cost of inverse vertical labret piercing is approximately €30 to €55. Also, note that the price is just for an idea. Charges may vary due to a lot of other factors, including the piercing professional, equipment, procedure, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How much time does it take to heal?
For the outer side, it usually takes 3-4 months, whereas, for the inner side, it may take up to 6 months. It all depends on how well you have been following the guidelines.
What is inverse vertical labret piercing?
Inverse vertical labret piercing, which is also called Ashley Piercing, has one perforation on the center of the lower lip and goes through the lip to the inner side of the mouth. Jewelry on the outer side remains visible on the lower lip.
How long will my lip swell with an Ashley piercing?
Your lip may swell for 7-10 days.
Which piercing can I have with an Ashley Piercing?
You can easily combine an Ashley piercing with other facial piercings. You can have snake bites or medusa. Try considering septum with an inverse vertical labret piercing.