Let us discuss a new type of ear piercing, which is an amazing and stylish piercing. We are talking about Double Cartilage Piercing which is becoming famous with every single day. Double Cartilage Piercing is the added beauty in your personality and looks cool with the right jewelry.
Let us tell you about the pros-cons, procedure, healing time, aftercare, and the cost of Double Cartilage Piercing.
Table of Contents
What Is Double Cartilage Piercing
Double Cartilage Piercing is the double perforation on the cartilage. Cartilage is located on the upper outer part of the ear called ear auricle, which is flexible. Most of the people refer to the auricle cartilage when they talk about the ear.
But Double Cartilage Piercing is not necessarily done on the cartilage. Different variations of a Double Cartilage Piercing has been introduced with the passage of time. But, the Double Cartilage Piercing on the upper ear is the most common.
It is quite an evident piercing, and you can make it more amazing with the right jewelry.
Pros and Cons
Let us mention some advantages and disadvantages of a Double Cartilage Piercing. You must know all of them before you get the perforations.
- When having a piercing, visibility is the most important aspect for most people. A Double Cartilage Piercing is quite an evident type of piercing.
- You will get a wide variety of jewelry to select the best for your piercing. You can use studs, rings, or CBRs. Also, you get different variations of these types. The image section will give you a clear view of the jewelry you may use.
- You can have Double Cartilage Piercing on the single ear. It looks cool even you don’t get it on both ears.
- You can easily combine it with the Other Types Of Ear Piercing.
- The procedure is quick. You do not require to wait for a longer time for the procedure. For the detailed procedure, we have added some videos for reference in the upcoming section.
- There are multiple perforations involved, so it hurts more. But the way it looks once you have it, makes one forget about the pain.
- It may take a long time until it heals properly. It is usual for a Double Cartilage Piercing to take more than 4 months to heal. So, it may become difficult for you to follow the aftercare instructions for that long. You can find the detailed aftercare instructions in the upcoming section.
- If gone wrong, your piercing can easily be infected. The guide about how you can avoid infection is available in the upcoming sections.
Procedure Of Double Cartilage
First of all, before the procedure, find the best professional piercing in your area. There is no doubt that a professional piercer contributes towards a good end result. Try to find a piercer who is experienced and professional. He must have a good reputation.
Also, it is important to make sure that the equipment being used is properly sterilized and individually packed.
The professional piercer will first examine your ear anatomy. He will then mark the location with a surgical pen where he intends to make the perforation. You can have an idea where exactly you will have the perforation and how the jewelry will look. Once you approve, he will make the perforation using a surgical needle and finalize the procedure with the initial jewelry.
After the procedure, the piercer will give you aftercare instructions which you must follow carefully to avoid any chance of infection.
Pain Level Of Double Cartilage Piercing
The pain level during a procedure depends upon the experience of the piercer and the individual health conditions.
The reason for this pain level is the multiple perforations involved. When having double perforation on the cartilage, you will surely feel more pain.
Suggestion For Less Pain
Even though there are multiple perforations involved on both sides, you can always go for one. You have multiple options. You can have multiple perforations on one side, and for the other side, you can always come at a later time.
There is another option of having one perforation on each side and getting the second one at a later time.
It is the fact that the pain level depends on various factors, including individual health conditions. Also, the experience piercer contributes to the pain level and makes the procedure less painful. You can also use pain killers with the advice of your doctor.
Healing Time & Aftercare
It must be understood that the healing time mainly depends upon how well you follow the aftercare instructions.
You must adopt some practices to avoid any chance of infection. We have mentioned all those in the section below.
- Keep the piercing dry
- Clean it with saline water 3-4 times a day
- Be careful while changing the clothes
- Carefully brush your hair
- Adjust your sleeping position
- Carefully decide how close the perforations should be to make the cleaning easy
- Always follow proper guidelines and aftercare instructions
- Do not touch Double Cartilage Piercing without washing your hands with a good anti-bacterial soap
- Do not try to change or remove the jewelry
- Avoid using a shared pillow
- Do not use any cream on your piercing which may attract bacteria
Read About Ear Piercing Aftercare Guide
When to consult your doctor
If you are following the aftercare instructions carefully, still you must look for any symptom of an infection.
- Embedded jewelry is one of the signs of infection. You notice that jewelry does not move after some days and embed in the skin.
- You start noticing the redness which spreads around the other areas of the ear.
- If you notice the inflammation is spreading to other areas of the ear
- You start having a fever
- There is no progress in healing after several days
You must not worry if you find any sign of infection. Consult your doctor immediately.
Best Jewelry For Double Cartilage Piercing
While selecting the jewelry, always make sure that the jewelry is made of hypoallergenic material. It has multiple perforations on both sides and gives you plenty of areas to try any jewelry. Here are some options for the jewelry.
- Captive Beads Ring (CBRs)
- Surgical Steel Rings
- Hoops & Studs (Surgical Steel, Titanium)
- Different variations of the above types
Make sure that the jewelry is made of hypoallergenic material which does not cause a problem later.
How Much Does Double Cartilage Piercing Cost?
In the United States, 20$ to 60$
The UK, £18 to £25 whereas in Europe €25 to €35.
This is just for an idea. There are a lot of factors that affect the cost.
Experience & Procedure (Video)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How much does a double cartilage piercing cost?
In the United States, it may cost around 20$ to 60$. While in the UK cost is around £18 to £25 whereas in Europe the cost of Double Cartilage is approximately €25 to €35.
Can you get double cartilage piercing the same time?
Yes, you can. But to make it less painful, you can always go for double perforation on one ear on a single day. Or you can have single perforation on both ears and come back later for the second one
Should I get a double cartilage piercing?
The reason is that it looks even more amazing when combined with other ear piercings. Also, it has a quick procedure. It is evident and gives you a more fashionable look. You can even have it on one side of the ear.