You are here because you want to know more about a piercing, which is hidden unless you show it to someone. We shall mention everything about Tongue Web Piercing in detail here. To make it easier for you to decide if you are thinking about this amazing but uncommon piercing. Tongue Web Piercing is also referred to as Tongue Frenulum Piercing and Marley Piercing. You may also call it Underneath Tongue Piercing.
Table of Contents
What Is A Tongue Web (Frenulum) Piercing?
Tongue Web Piercing or Tongue Frenulum Piercing is a piercing on the Frenulum, which is a thin connectivity tissue between the tongue and floor of the mouth. This piercing is only visible when you raise your tongue to show it to someone. Tongue Web Piercing is quite uncommon. Or let us put it this way, if someone has it, you are unable to see until he/she shows it to you. Tongue Web Piercing is also called Tongue Frenulum Piercing, Marley Piercing, Tongue Webbing, and Underneath Tongue Piercing.
Getting a Tongue Web Piercing is just like thinking outside the box because the piercing is something you wish to have only for a unique look and always want to show everyone your amazing new personality.
Pros and Cons
There are several pros and cons associated with a Tongue Web Piercing. Let us mention those pros and cons to make the decision easier for you.
- Tongue Web Piercing can be easily hidden which can be a strong point for someone to have it
- It is less painful when compared to the other piercings
- Frenulum does not carry many blood vessels, so you should not worry about too much bleeding during the procedure
- Marley Piercing (Tongue Web Piercing ) is quite uncommon, so you will surely have something unique
- Not everyone can have this piercing due to the anatomy of the tongue. If you do not have much tissue (Frenulum) available, then it may not be possible for you to have a Tongue Web Piercing. But you can always have other tongue piercings
- It may cause a lot of irritation during the healing process when you have to change your eating habits strictly. Everything you eat or drink will come in contact with your piercing so you must always follow the aftercare instructions properly
- Jewelry may irritate just because the area under your tongue is quite sensitive. You will have to take the advice of the professional piercer before having a Tongue Web Piercing (Marley Piercing) and follow whatever the professional piercer suggests
Before starting the procedure, the professional piercer will first examine the anatomy of the tongue to see if there is enough space available, and frenulum can be pierced. You can always try other tongue piercings if you are told that Tongue Web Piercing is not suitable for you.
To avoid any complications during and after a procedure, you must always find a professional piercer in the area who has a good reputation. Also, make sure that the equipment being used is sterilized and individually packed.
Before the procedure, you must rinse your mouth with a good anti-bacterial mouth wash. The professional piercer will hold the frenulum (underneath tongue tissue) with a surgical clamp. He will then insert a hollow needle through the surgical clamp and will finalize the procedure with the initial jewelry.
After the procedure, the professional piercer will give you the aftercare instructions which you must follow to avoid any problems.
Doing It Herself (Video)
How Much Does Tongue Web Piercing Hurt?
Each individual has a different level of pain tolerance. For someone, piercing on the lips may be more painful than a tongue piercing. But on a general level, let us mention here what people experience.
The reason for less pain is that there are not many blood vessels in this area of the mouth. You will only feel some discomfort during the procedure which is understandable.
Healing Time and Aftercare
The first thing that comes to your mind after a procedure is healing time and aftercare. You must understand the healing time mainly depends on how well you follow the aftercare instructions.
This is the fact that healing time may be fastened by following proper guidelines.
- Maintain better oral hygiene
- Clean your piercing by rinsing your mouth with saltwater or alcohol-free mouthwash
- Use a soft toothbrush
- Rinse your mouth after every meal
- Always look carefully for any sign of infection
- Do not touch Tongue Web Piercing without washing your hands with a good anti-bacterial soap
- Do not eat hot and spicy food
- Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol
- Avoid sharing cups, spoon even food and drinks
- You should avoid kissing and oral sex
- Do not try to change or move the jewelry
- Avoid talking too much until it heals properly
Read About Tongue Piercing Aftercare Guide
Information & Aftercare (Video)
Cleaning The Tongue Webbing Piercing
You must clean your piercing to avoid any infections. There are several options available for you to clean the Tongue Web Piercing (Marley Piercing).
First of all, you must rinse your mouth with a good anti-bacterial mouth wash after each meal. You must continue this practice when you get up and before going to bed. This will reduce any chance of infection and keep the piercing clean.
Other than a ready-made anti-bacterial mouth wash, you can also use a saline mixture that is easy to prepare. Let us guide you on the procedure of making the mixture yourself.
- Get table salt or sea salt
- Mix ½ spoon of non-iodized salt in a cup
- Add 8 ounce of water and stir well
- Make it warm on a stove or using an oven (do not make it too hot)
- Make it normal in the room temperature
Under Tongue Piercing Risks
There are several risks associated with Tongue Web Piercing, which you can avoid by following the aftercare instructions and keeping a close eye on the new piercing. There can be risks like:
- Tooth and Gum Erosion
When the procedure completes, the jewelry is fixed on an ideal location. But that may migrate from its initial location, and this process is called migration. The fact is that the frenulum is the thin tissue and can cause migration easily. There are not many tissues there to hold the initial jewelry at the initial place. Migration can be unnoticed and painless. It is a slow process, but still, you can have a deep eye on it.
Rejection of a piercing is a process when the body does not accept the new piercing and pushes away the jewelry. This can leave scars. You must always select the jewelry made of surgical steel or titanium in order to reduce any chance of rejection.
Whenever you select some jewelry for Marley piercing, you must select the jewelry with the right size. As frenulum is quite close to lower gum and teeth, the bigger jewelry may cause tooth or gum erosion.
Signs Of Infected Tongue Webbing
You can always avoid any chance of infection if you follow your aftercare instruction. But still, there are chances of infection, and you must look carefully for any such sign.
- Excessive pain (if it lasts for a longer time)
- Excessive swelling or soreness
- Yellow, green or dark brown pus
- Excessive bleeding that does not stop with time
Whenever you feel there is some infection, consult your doctor immediately.
Best Jewelry for Tongue Web Piercing
You must select the best jewelry made of hypoallergenic material. You can use jewelry like:
- Ball closure rings (BCRs)
- Straight barbell
- Curved barbell
Prefer using jewelry made of titanium, surgical steel, or any metal that does not cause allergy.
How Much Does Tongue Web Piercing Cost?
In the United States, it may cost around 30$ to 60$. While in the UK cost is around £20 to £60 whereas in Europe the cost of under tongue piercing is around €25 to €70. Also, note that the cost is just for an idea. Charges may vary due to a lot of other factors, including professional piercing, equipment, procedure, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How to clean tongue web piercing?
Rinse your mouth with a good anti-bacterial mouth wash after each meal. You must continue this practice when you get up and before going to bed. This will reduce any chance of infection and keep the piercing clean.
Other than a ready-made anti-bacterial mouth wash, you can also use a saline mixture that is easy to prepare. You can find the procedure in this article.
What is the purpose of Tongue Web Piercing?
There are several reasons. Tongue Web Piercing can be easily hidden, which can be a strong point for someone to have it. It is less painful when compared to the other piercings Frenulum does not carry many blood vessels, so you should not worry about too much bleeding during procedure Marley Piercing (Tongue Web Piercing ) is quite uncommon, so you will surely have something unique
How much does Tongue frenulum piercing cost?
In the United States, it may cost around 30$ to 60$. While in the UK cost is around £20 to £60 whereas in Europe the cost of under tongue piercing is approximately €25 to €70.
How long does it take for a tongue webbing piercing to heal?
The healing time of Tongue Web Piercing (under tongue piercing) is 8 to 10 weeks if you follow aftercare instructions properly