Everyone thinking about body modification these days, and when there are a lot of choices, it is becoming hard to select one. You might choose one which looks great on you and has excellent visibility, which will look cooler when you make it look hot with a good selection of jewelry. Double Helix Piercing becomes your favorite choice.
Table of Contents
What is a Double Helix Piercing?
Double Helix Piercing is the double perforation on your cartilage. The perforations are vertically on the upper side of cartilage, making it more prominent. A double perforation provides more room for jewelry selection. Helix piercing is a traditional piercing in African tribal culture and became famous in the late ’70s. You may see a lot of modifications nowadays like a forward helix, triple helix, etc.
We shall guide you on how can you make it less painful once you decide that you are going to get it.
Important Points To Remember
You have a lot of things to do before getting a Double Helix Piercing, including finding a professional piercer in your area who has a good reputation. Make sure the equipment, including needle, is individually packed, and the material is properly sterilized. Make sure the price is right.
Let us mentioned all those important things which you must do before getting the procedure done.
- Finding a professional piercer is important because it all depends on the procedure, guidelines and aftercare instructions a piercing professional may provide
- Get a Double Helix Piercing because you like it, not because some of your friends have recommended you. Or you see many of your friends are getting some kind of piercing. Do it if you like it, and Double Helix Piercing has some significance to you.
- Decide the right placing of the perforations. Decide how close they should be to clean them properly. This decision will help you in jewelry selection later.
- Be ready about the healing time. You have to wait and follow all the instructions until it heals properly. Keep in mind that it may take up to a year to heal in some cases
- Complete your own research about the procedure. Be informed about the use of a needle instead of a piercing gun.
- Be dedicated to the cleanliness and aftercare instructions.
- Don’t get panic in any case. If at any point, you feel that you should consult your doctor or have the advice of the piercing professional, do not hesitate in doing so
We shall mention the average cost of two Helix Piercing, which will give you an idea about the piercing cost of Double Helix Piercing. Once you get all the things in place, just relax and enjoy the new addition in your beauty.
First of all, you should select a professional piercer who has a good reputation. Make sure that all the equipment is properly sterilized. You have to take these points into consideration because you cannot afford an infection later on. Also, you must inform the piercing professional about any type of allergies you have or any health issues that you think you should inform about.
The Piercing professional will clean the area properly and mark the cartilage with a surgical pen to give you an idea about the exact location where he will make the perforation. There are two perforations involved, actually. After finalizing the points, piercing professional will use a needle which is recommended for Double Helix Piercing because the piercing gun has sterilization issues. So the use of a gun is not recommended in the case of cartilage. It may seem scary for someone thinking about the perforations with a needle, but we shall cover it in another section where we shall discuss the pain level.
After making the perforations, the piercing professional will give you aftercare instructions.
How Much Does Double Helix Piercing Hurt
Considering the fact that each individual’s pain tolerance has clearly an impact on how much pain he feels, but we can still discuss how generally people feel. This is true that the look you get after a Double Helix Piercing makes you forget all the pain you faced during the procedure. It hurts more than a simple ear lobe piercing, but when it is compared with the piercing on other parts of the body, it does not hurt that much. Once you make your Double Helix Piercing prominent with the right selection of jewelry, you forget all the pain you felt during the procedure.
Also, this is a fact that some people may feel more pain on cartilage as compared to those who may not feel much pain. The piercing professional may guide you about pain killers if required in some cases. But don’t forget to follow the aftercare instructions carefully.
Suggestion For Less Pain
As there are two perforations on the cartilage, you can always go for one perforation at a time. You have a choice to have a single perforation, and later on, you may have a second one. You can go for the second perforation once you start feeling better.
Also, you can get double perforations on the one side, and get your other piercing later. So you have multiple choices. One is getting your one perforation on each side. And the other is getting your two perforations on the same side. You can go with any decision you make.
This can reduce the pain factor, and you can take the advice of the piercing professional about it.
Healing Time and Aftercare
After getting the procedure, the first thing you start thinking of is the healing time. Healing time may be fastened by following the proper guidelines and aftercare instructions.
The healing process differs from person to person. But when you start following the guidelines and aftercare instructions, you exclude any chance of infection and make the healing time really fast.
There are some instructions for you which you may follow to avoid any chance of infection. Some of those are listed below:
- Keep the piercing dry
- Use saline water and cotton swab for cleaning (3-4 times a day)
- Avoid touching the piercing part without washing hands with a good anti-bacterial soap
- Be careful while brushing your hair
- Be careful while changing clothes
- Do not use a shared pillow
- Adjust the sleeping position until it heals
- Do not use any cream on your piercing because it may attract bacteria and lead to an infection
- Never try to move or change the jewelry
- Always follow proper guidelines provided by the piercing professional
Read About Ear Piercing Aftercare Guide
We have mentioned some general aftercare instructions above. Do not hesitate to consult your doctor if you feel something wrong with the piercing.
When You Should Consult With A Doctor
After the procedure, the inflammation or redness (unless it is limited) is normal. But you have to be extra careful after the procedure because every individual has a lifestyle which may affect positively or negatively. Consult your doctor immediately if you see that :
- After the lapse of several days, the jewelry does not move
- There is redness which has spread beyond the piercing area
- If the inflammation spreads beyond the area
- You start having a fever
- After following proper guidelines, you do not see any progress in healing
You should always have a closer look near the piercing area and look for any signs of infection. Whenever you find any symptom, prioritize its treatment.
Pros & Cons Of Double Helix Piercing
Double Helix Piercing has its own pros and cons. Let us guide you about some pros and cons and hope some of them you know already.
- You still look beautiful if you pierce only one side
- A lot of jewelry variations are available for you to look pretty
- Has a quick procedure
- It is a beautiful, fashionable trend
- Pain due to double perforations on each side
- You will have to be careful while sleeping to avoid any pressure on the new piercing which may be an irritating situation for someone
Best Jewelry For Double Helix Piercing
Always use a piece of jewelry made of hypoallergenic material. You may have decided already which jewelry you have to use. Maybe you have plans. But let us guide you about some of those which you may think of getting.
- Studs (Simple titanium, surgical steel, labret)
- Curved Barbells
- CBRs (Captive Bead Rings)
Make sure you decide to change your jewelry once the healing process completes. There are a lot of jewelry options out there. Go get something cool.
How Much Does Double Helix Piercing Cost
Let us tell you the average price of two helix piercing because the exact cost of a Double Helix Piercing is difficult. In the United States, it may cost around 40$ to 60$. While in the UK the cost is around £20 to £40 whereas in Europe the cost is approximately €25 to €35.
Also, note that the cost is just for an idea. Charges may vary due to a lot of other factors, including the piercing professional, equipment, procedure, etc.
We have provided every important information that is necessary for anyone to know whoever is planning for such piercing. The visibility of Double Helix Piercing is amazing, and you have a wide variety of jewelry to use. It is more prominent hence makes your personality a lot cooler. Always follow the instructions provided by your piercing professional.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is a Double Helix Piercing?
Double Helix Piercing is the double perforation on your cartilage. The perforations are vertically on the upper side of cartilage, making it more prominent.
How Much Does A Double Helix Piercing Cost?
In the United States, it may cost around 40$ to 60$. While in the UK cost is around £20 to £40 whereas in Europe the cost of angel bite is approximately €25 to €35. Also, note that the cost is just for an idea. Charges may vary due to a lot of other factors, including the piercing professional, equipment, procedure, etc.
How Long Will, A Double Helix Piercing, Take To Heal?
Generally, a Double Helix Piercing takes 3 to 6 months’ time in healing. In some cases, the healing time may be up to a year. The healing process differs from person to person.
How Much A Double Helix Piercing Hurt?
Some people may feel more pain on the cartilage. If we make a pain scale with level 1 (less painful) to a level 10 (most painful), we shall give Double Helix Piercing a 5.