You might want to know about detailed tongue piercing aftercare if you have recently gone through a tongue piercing procedure. You must follow the aftercare instructions properly. We, in this article, have a detailed guide for you on how and what to follow during the healing time.
Table of Contents
Importance Of Aftercare
Following the proper aftercare instructions after a tongue piercing is important. This is because you want to avoid any chance of infection and complications. If you have gone through a piercing procedure, the body takes action as an intruder and responds accordingly. This response starts with the pain during the procedure and takes time until the tongue heals completely.
The tongue becomes prone to infection once it has been perforated during the piercing procedure. You have to follow proper tongue piercing aftercare to avoid any chance of infection.
Important Point To Remember
Whenever you decide on a tongue piercing procedure, you must find the best professional piercer. He must be trained and experienced with a good reputation in the area.
Also, make sure that the equipment being used is sterilized and individually packed. Also, follow tongue piercing aftercare instructions.
What Is Normal After A Procedure
There are several symptoms that are quite normal. Actually, it is a normal body behavior to take the piercing procedure as an intruder. This is the reason a body responds in a way that is quite normal. After the procedure, you start following the tongue piercing aftercare instructions. But there are symptoms that are normal after a tongue piercing procedure.
- Minor Swelling: Your tongue may swell after a tongue piercing procedure, but it is quite normal. The swelling will go away with the passage of time. It may take a few days or weeks in some cases. But until you have excessive swelling, which lasts longer, there is nothing to worry about. Keep following the tongue piercing aftercare instructions. But the swelling on the tongue will surely affect the routine life. We have mentioned the risks associated with a tongue piercing in this article.
- More Saliva: After a tongue piercing procedure, you may start having more saliva. There may be more saliva production, which is quite normal. As mentioned earlier, the body responds to every change in the body. Having more saliva is quite normal, so you should not worry if you feel such a condition.
- Tenderness: You may feel some tenderness on your tongue. Every such symptom to have is quite normal until you start feeling excessive pain.
- Redness or Red Streaks: Having redness or red streaks are quite normal within a limit.
- Throbbing: Such feeling is quite common to have for some days (if not excessive)
- Clear White Discharge: It is normal to have a clear white discharge if it is not excessive. You must keep following the tongue piercing aftercare.
Tongue Piercing During Healing (Video)
Tongue Piercing Aftercare Dos And Don’ts
After a procedure, there are some practices that you must adopt to avoid any chance of infection.
- Oral Hygiene: You must maintain proper oral hygiene. To avoid any infection after the procedure, even in normal routine life, you must always maintain proper oral hygiene.
- Wash Your Hands Before Touching New Piercing: You must not touch your new piercing without washing your hands with a good anti-bacterial soap.
- Use Right Jewelry: You must select the right jewelry having the right size that fits your mouth/ tongue anatomy. It is obvious that larger jewelry will keep on slamming against the teeth, gums, and within the mouth. This may cause gum and teeth erosion.
- Use Longer Barbells Initially: You must use longer jewelry, i.e., barbells as the initial jewelry. The reason is that a longer barbell adjusts easily with a swollen tongue. Like for snake eyes piercing, it is better to use longer jewelry. Later once the piercing heals, you can change the jewelry.
- Eat Simple Food: After a procedure, you may feel some problem in eating and chewing. You will have to change your eating habits for some time. You must eat simple food, including mashed potatoes, yogurt, and oatmeal.
- Soft Toothbrush: Use a soft toothbrush after a tongue piercing procedure.
- Look Closely: You must look closely at any sign of infection. There may be some symptoms of infection that you may ignore considering those quite normal. We have mentioned all the symptoms of infection. You must follow tongue piercing aftercare instructions properly.
- Rinse Your Mouth: You must rinse your mouth after each meal. You may use salt water for rinsing your mouth.
- Gargle: You must gargle your mouth 4 to 6 times a day to remove any chance of infection.
- Consult With Doctor: If you feel something is wrong with your piercing, consult your doctor immediately.
- Do Not Change Or Rotate Jewelry: You must not try to change the jewelry until the healing process completes. Also, avoid playing with the initial jewelry. Do not rotate the jewelry until it heals.
- Avoid Spicy Foods: You must avoid spicy foods. Eating spicy food may cause irritation.
- Avoid Alcohol: Avoid alcohol because alcohol works as a blood thinner.
- Do Not Smoke: Avoid smoking because you may want to avoid any chance of infection.
- Avoid Hot Drinks: Hot drinks may cause irritation for your tongue piercing.
- Avoid Sharing: Avoid sharing cups, spoon, glass, or even food. You don’t want the sensitive tongue piercing to be affected by any shared food item.
- Avoid Kissing And Oral Sex: You must avoid kissing and oral sex until your tongue piercing heals.
Tongue Piercing Aftercare (Videos)
Saline Solution: Make It Yourself
You can make the saline solution for yourself, which is not difficult. Saline solution is a good thing for a tongue piercing aftercare.
- Get non-iodized sea salt
- Put 8 ounces of water in a cup
- Mix ½ teaspoon of salt in it
- Stir well
- Make the mixture warm in a microwave oven or using a stove
- Do not make it too hot (just make it warm)
- Now keep the solution under room temperature until the temperature gets normal
Risks Of Tongue Piercing
- Speech Impediments: You may face speech impediments after a tongue piercing procedure. Because the jewelry may change the normal behavior and independent movement of the tongue.
- Eating And Chewing Difficulties: You may face eating difficulties. The reason is simple. After the completion of the healing process, you may find it easy to eat or chew.
- Teeth & Gum Erosion: You must be really careful while selecting your jewelry for your tongue piercing. The larger jewelry, i.e., barbell or rings, may keep slamming against your teeth and gums. This will result in gum and teeth erosion. It is not usual for your gum and teeth to have such an intruder.
- Loss Of Sensation: If gone wrong, you may face the loss of sensation issues.
- Nerve Damage: There is always a chance of nerve damage. So always find the best experienced and professional piercer in your area with a good reputation.
- Metal Not Suitable: The metal you chose for your jewelry may cause infection. So always select the jewelry made of hypoallergenic material.
Brushing & Best Food (Video)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
When should we start following tongue piercing aftercare?
You must start following the tongue piercing aftercare right after the procedure. Generally, you start following the aftercare when you select the right jewelry. Do not forget to select the jewelry with the right size and metal for your procedure. It is good to use the jewelry, i.e., barbell, for adjustment during swelling of the tongue.
How can my tongue piercing heal faster?
There is no fast process, but a good healing process depends upon how well you follow the aftercare instructions.
My piercing is swollen for a long time what to do?
You must consult your doctor if the swelling lasts for more than two weeks. Look closely at any signs of infection we have mentioned.
Can I use iodized salt instead of non-iodized salt?
No. Iodized salt may have chemicals that are not good for your new piercing.
Can I change the initial jewelry?
You can change the initial jewelry once the tongue piercing heals.
Where can I buy saline solutions and piercing cleaning items?
You can buy the required items online, local pharmacies, and piercing shops. Some cleaning solutions can be prepared by yourself.