Are you thinking about a piercing, which is evidently awesome? Also, you might have plans to try something new, which makes you look bold and fashionable at the same time. Or you may want to try something different, which makes you unique. Then a Horizontal Lip Piercing is something you should consider. Let us tell you everything about Horizontal Labret Piercing in great detail.
Table of Contents
What Is A Horizontal Lip Piercing?
Horizontal lip piercing is a piercing in which two perforations are made on the lower lip with single jewelry, i.e. barbell having two visible ends. A Horizontal Labret Piercing may also be done on upper lips, but due to the availability of wide-area on the lower lip, it is always preferred on the lower lip. Also, it becomes much more evident on the lower lip as compared to the upper lip.
Horizontal Lip Piercing is famous among both genders. But you may not be able to use a different kind of jewelry which you see in other piercings. But still, the way it looks with the available choice you have makes it look awesome. We shall mention some pros and cons of Horizontal Labret Piercing.
Pros and Cons of Horizontal Labret Piercing
You may already know some of the pros and cons of Horizontal Lip Piercing, but let us mention them here for your information.
- It is quite evident. That is the reason you will love it. This may be the most loveable thing for someone to have something which is evident and unique at the same time making your looks much more amazing
- While interacting, people will not be able to take their eyes off
- It will draw everyone’s attention because it is not very common. That is the reason you will enjoy having Horizontal Labret Piercing.
- You will have scars if it migrates. Yes, it is true. There are some parts of the body where you do not get scars after removing the piercing. Or, if you have, those are still not prominent as compared to having them on lips, which are evident as mentioned before. Those scars may be permanent, and you will not be able to find any solution of removing them. Not even with a plastic surgery
- There is a chance of rejection (even after a few days) due to the piercing involves the thin tissue of the lip.
- You do not have a massive choice of jewelry to try. Also, the lower lip is a sensitive area; hence you would prefer lightweight jewelry
- Horizontal Lip Piercing is quite painful due to the sensitive tissues present in this area. Each individual has a different level of pain tolerance, but still, it hurts more than some other piercings
Procedure Of Horizontal Labret Piercing
Before the procedure, always try to find the best and professional piercer in your area who has a good reputation. You will never want to have any problem later on. Make sure the tools that are used are properly sterilized and individually packed.
The professional piercer will first mark the location with a surgical pen where he intends to make the perforation. Here the perforations may be close or at a distance depending upon the anatomy of the lip or the individual choice. At this point, you can have an idea where exactly you will have the perforations. The professional piercer will then hold the lower lip with a surgical clamp and use a needle to make the horizontal perforation following a bar. He will then screw the balls at the end of the procedure.
How Much Does Horizontal Lip Piercing Hurt
As we mentioned earlier, each individual has a different level of pain tolerance. But we always take things on a general level.
Pain mainly depends upon several other factors, including professional piercer, the jewelry or needle gauge that has been used, lip anatomy, which includes tissue thickness. You may use some pain killers with the advice of your doctor if you need to.
Healing Time And Aftercare
The first thing you start thinking about having a Horizontal Labret Piercing procedure is the healing time. Healing time mainly depends upon how you follow the aftercare instructions. You can fasten the healing time undoubtedly.
You must avoid a lot of things and maintain better hygiene during the healing time, which we have mentioned below in the aftercare section.
Do not worry at all if your lips swell after the procedure for some days. You may also feel some soreness, tenderness, light bleeding, and throbbing, but all these symptoms are quite normal unless they last for a longer time.
Always Look For Signs Of Infection
You must always look for any signs which indicate infection. As we have mentioned that swelling and soreness after the horizontal labret piercing procedure is quite normal unless they last longer. Also, the white liquid on the fresh piercing is normal. But there can be several symptoms of an infection.
- Excessive pain
- Yellow or dark brown pus
- Excessive swelling
- You start having a fever
- Embedded jewelry
If you feel any of the symptoms of infection, consult your doctor immediately.
Things To Adopt During Healing Time
- Maintain better hygiene
- Always touch the piercing with clean hands
- Try to keep the new piercing dry
- Be extra careful while brushing your teeth or eating a meal
- Use a comfortable jewelry
- Clean the horizontal lip piercing daily, as instructed by the professional piercer
Things To Avoid During Healing Time
- Do not try to change or move the jewelry
- Do not use alcohol as it may prolong the healing
- Avoid using lipstick, creams or anything which may infect the piercing
- Avoid kissing and oral activities involving lips
Read About Lip Piercing Aftercare Guide
Best Jewelry For Horizontal Lip Piercing
You will find jewelry both for men and women for a horizontal surface lip piercing. While selecting jewelry, always consider the anatomy of your lip. Also, it is highly not recommended to use the cheap material as piercing jewelry because the infection or keloids may be the worst thing you may think of.
You can use:
- Curved barbell
- Straight barbell
- Rings (not very common)
You will find curved or straight barbell having different variations giving the look of stud individually perforation on each side of the lip. You will find several images in the images section.
How Much Does Horizontal Lip Piercing Cost
In the United States, it may cost around 40$ to 70$. While in the UK cost is around £35 to £80 whereas in Europe the cost of horizontal labret piercing is approximately €30 to €80. Also, note that the price is just for an idea. Charges may vary due to a lot of other factors, including professional piercer, equipment, procedure, etc.
Getting Two Separate One (Video)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is horizontal labret piercing?
Horizontal lip piercing is a piercing in which two perforations are made on the lower lip with single jewelry, i.e. barbell having two visible ends.
How much does horizontal lip piercing hurt?
On a pain scale from 1 (least painful) to 10 (most painful), horizontal lip piercing is a 5.
How much a horizontal lip piercing cost?
In the United States, it may cost around 40$ to 70$. While in the UK cost is around £35 to £80 whereas in Europe the cost of angel bite is approximately €30 to €80.
Does horizontal lip piercing leave scars?
You will have scars if it migrates. They may be permanent, and you will not find any solution to remove them even with plastic surgery.