Have you been through any of the lip or labret piercing procedure? Does it look nice? Yes, of course, it does. But don’t forget to follow the lip piercing aftercare. We have a detailed guide on lip piercing aftercare/labret piercing after for you.
Table of Contents
The Need Of Lip Piercing Aftercare
After a procedure, the lip or labret becomes prone to bacterial infection. And you would never want that. Getting a piercing on the lip may affect your daily routine activities, i.e., eating or speaking. Following the proper guidelines and aftercare instructions become essential at this time.
You must follow the lip piercing aftercare because you want your lip/labret to heal in less time.
Before you go for a procedure, there is something you need to do. Always try to select the best piercer in your area who is professional and experienced. He must have a good reputation in the area.
Also, make sure that the equipment being used is sterilized and individually packed. Your lip piercing aftercare starts from the day of the procedure.
This is true that healing time depends upon how well you follow the aftercare instructions.
Lip Piercing Aftercare Dos and Don’ts
After a lip/labret piercing procedure, you must start following the aftercare guidelines. There are several practices you must adopt with a change in your daily routine until your lip heals.
- Hygiene: You must maintain better hygiene. This will be good for the healing of your lip piercing.
- Keep It Dry: Try to keep your piercing dry. Yes, it may indeed become difficult to keep it dry all the time, but this is good for your lip piercing aftercare.
- Soft Tooth Brush: You must use a soft toothbrush with soft ends. Carefully use it to avoid any irritation.
- Initial Jewelry: You must use comfortable jewelry as an initial one. Also, use the jewelry made with hypoallergenic material.
- Mouth Wash: Use a good anti-bacterial mouth wash. It is important to keep your inner mouth clean because, in several lip/labret piercings, you get a perforation through the lip. And the jewelry goes through the lip to the inner mouth section, unlike Horizontal Lip Piercing, where the perforation is done horizontally on the front of the lip.
- Have Cold Food Items: You must use cold food items like ice cream to get quite a relief. That may also help in reducing the swelling and make you feel better.
- Touch With Clean Hands: You must always touch your piercing after washing your hands with a good anti-bacterial soap. You would never want your lip piercing to get infected with any bacterial infection.
- Rinse Your Mouth: Always rinse your mouth after having a meal. This practice is good as a lip piercing aftercare.
- Gargle: You must rinse with salt-water at least 3-4 times a day. You can make salt-water using simple steps mentioned below.
- Changing or Rotating Jewelry: Do not try to change or rotate the jewelry until your lip/labret piercing heals properly. This is the most important thing to do for a better lip piercing aftercare. Once you do so, your piercing may get irritated, which may longer time to heal.
- Avoid Alcohol: You must avoid using alcohol. The reason is that alcohol reacts as a blood thinner, which is not suitable for a fresh piercing.
- Avoid Spicy Foods: Avoid spicy foods that may irritate your lip/labret piercing. For a better labret piercing aftercare, avoid spicy foods.
- Avoid Sharing: Do not use shared cups, which may cause transferring bacteria to the sensitive and fresh piercing. Also, avoid sharing any food items, including spoon, glass, etc. For a better lip piercing aftercare, follow all these instructions that are mentioned here.
- Do No Use Shared Pools: You must avoid using public pools. Avoid public pools until your piercing heals. This practice is necessary to prevent any chance of infection.
- Avoid Kissing: You must avoid kissing until your lip/labret piercing heals. Also, avoid any oral activities irritating your new piercing.
Salt Water Solution For Lip Piercing Aftercare
The saltwater solution is an excellent thing to rinse. And that may help a lot in keeping your piercing clean.
- Get non-iodized sea salt
- Mix ½ spoon of salt with 8 ounces of water
- Stir well
- Use a microwave or a stove to make it warm
- Do not make it too hot
- Now leave it under room temperature until it cools down
Using Ice Cubes For Labret Piercing Aftercare
For a cold compress, the usage of ice cubes is best. You may also use frozen vegetables for the cold compress. This procedure is for the outer side of the piercing. But for the inner side of the mouth, you have already been advised to use cold food items, i.e., ice cream.
- Get a thin cloth or tower
- Wrap it around the ice cubes or the frozen pack you want to use for a compress
- Gently apply it to the affected area
- Do it for five minutes
- Keep repeating this at least 2-3 times a day for a relief
Symptoms of An Infection
Though you follow the proper guidelines and lip piercing aftercare instructions, still there are chances of infection. Several symptoms are quite normal after a lip piercing procedure.
What is Normal
- Minor Swelling
- Pain (which will go with time)
- Clear White Discharge
Symptoms of Infection
- Excessive swelling (which lasts for a longer time)
- Extreme pain
- Excessive bleeding
- You start having a fever
You must consult your doctor immediately if you face any of the symptoms of infection.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How to speed up my lip piercing?
There is no way to speed up your lip piercing, but the use or proper guidelines and following the right aftercare instructions help it to heal in less time. There is no doubt that the healing time mainly depends on how well you follow the aftercare instructions.
I see a clear white discharge, is it normal?
It is normal to have a clear white discharge. Do not worry about that. But always look closely at any signs of infection. Consult your doctor immediately whenever you see any symptom of infection.
Is it ok to have a shower?
You must try to keep your piercing dry. After one day of the procedure, it is okay to have a shower but avoid cleaning your piercing extensively.
How to make a cleaning solution?
You can make a saline solution at your own by mixing non-iodized salt with warm water. You will find a detailed procedure in this article.
What to do in case of an allergic reaction?
The metal of the initial jewelry may cause an allergic reaction. So you must always be careful while selecting jewelry for your piercing. You must consult your doctor or the professional piercing immediately if you find any allergic reaction.