Have you recently been through an ear piercing procedure? You must strictly follow the ear piercing aftercare instructions to avoid any chance of infection. Let us tell you how you can take proper care of your ear piercing.
Table of Contents
The Need for Ear Piercing Aftercare
After a procedure, your body becomes prone to any bacterial infection. At this point, it becomes essential to take good care of your piercing until it heals. There are several practices you must adopt to avoid any chance of infection. The piercing procedure is treated as an intruder by the body. After an ear-piercing procedure, the chances of infection are always there, so you must follow the proper ear piercing aftercare.
The Most Important Thing To Do
Before you go for a procedure, there is something you need to do. Always select the best professional piercer for the procedure in your area. Make sure the piercer is experienced, professional, and has a good reputation.
The most important thing during the procedure is the equipment. Make sure that the equipment being used is sterilized and individually packed.
After the procedure, you must carefully follow the ear piercing aftercare instructions.
Signs Of Infected Ear Piercing
There are several symptoms of infection. You must always follow the ear piercing aftercare instructions, but still, you must be aware of the symptoms of any infection.
- Excessive swelling
- Redness and inflammation that spreads beyond the piercing site
- Embedded jewelry
- Excessive pain
- You start having a fever
- Excessive bleeding
- Dark brown or yellow pus
If you find any of the symptoms of infection, consult your doctor immediately.
Ear Piercing Aftercare Dos And Don’ts
After the procedure, you must follow ear piercing aftercare instructions to avoid any chance of infection.
- Touch with Clean Hands: You must touch the piercing with clean hands. Always touch your piercing after washing your hands with a good anti-bacterial soap. After a procedure, the small wound of the ear becomes more prone to infection, and you must carefully take care of this.
- Cleaning The Piercing: You must clean your piercing at least 2-3 times a day with a saline solution. This will keep the piercing clean and reduce the chance of any bacterial infection. This will surely reduce the healing time, which is something you might be looking to.
- Follow Better Hygiene: You must maintain better hygiene habits. Not only for the ear piercing aftercare, but implement those habits in your daily routine.
- Keep it Dry: You must try to keep your piercing dry. This will reduce any chance of infection. Otherwise, you may face the issue of pus in your new piercing.
- Adjust The Sleeping Position: You will have to adjust your sleeping position. It will not be good to keep your piercing under pressure. To avoid such pressure, you must adjust your sleeping position.
- Be Careful: Be careful when you change your clothes or brush your hair. Ear piercing must not get irritated while you change your clothes or brush your hair.
- Follow the Aftercare: You must always follow the proper guidelines and ear aftercare instructions to reduce any chance of infection.
- Rotation & Changing of Jewelry: You must not try to change the jewelry until the piercing heals. Also, you must avoid rotating the jewelry. It can cause irritation.
- Avoid using Shared Pillow: You must avoid using a shared pillow because you do not want to have any bacterial infection.
- Avoid Public Pools: You must always keep your piercing dry. After once it heals enough but still for a good ear piercing aftercare, avoid using the public pool.
- Avoid Using Creams: You must avoid using any cream on the piercing. This may attract bacteria which may cause infection.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Should I remove crusties?
No, you should not remove them. That is the part of natural body recovery.
What to do if swelling persist after a long time?
Swelling on the piercings like cartilage can take time to go. Consult your doctor if swelling persists for more than two weeks with excessive pain.
How can I make a cleaning solution at home?
You can make a saline solution at home, and the process is simple. Mix ½ spoon of non-iodized sea salt in 8 ounces of water stir well and make the mixture hot (not too much) in the microwave oven or using a stove. Now put it under the room temperature before using it.
Is it okay to use iodized salt?
No, you must not use iodized salt as it does not have the required cleaning effect.
Can I remove my ear jewelry before cleaning the piercing?
No, you must not remove the jewelry.
Can I change my ear jewelry after 1-2 months?
It all depends on the type of piercing you have. Some piercing may take several months before you should try changing the jewelry. Refer to the specific piercing article for the detail.